I had good intentions. But it all went terribly wrong.
After Armando gave me my amazing birthday surprise on Monday, I wanted to do a thoughtful gesture in return and what better way to do that than to make him a 5-course Valentine’s Day Dinner the next day. He was travelling with work and would be home on the 14th around 8pm so it was perfect.
I did my research, found some recipes and went shopping for all the ingredients. Then, for five non-stop hours, I cooked, cleaned and prepared all the dishes so they would be ready in time for his arrival.
He was excited for the meal and with each course, I could see him getting more full but was forcing himself to eat everything as he knew how much effort went into the meal. He seemed to enjoy his Valentine’s Day surprise that is, until 2am that night.
I was awoken to him stirring in bed. Restless. I asked if he was okay and he said no, that he thinks he ate too much and that he wasn’t feeling well. It couldn’t possibly be that he ate too much as the portions were small and I ate the same amount, if not more. He described his symptoms and it sounded like heartburn. I googled what to do because we had no medicine for that and it said to sleep with your head raised. As soon as he did that, he felt better. But only for a moment. Within a couple of minutes, he was running to the bathroom, sick! Maybe he did eat too much? Did I over stuff him?
That was the conclusion that we arrived at until I got sick a few hours later. No, I didn’t over stuff him. I poisoned him! All the symptoms we got all day pointed to food poisoning. I felt like I was dying and I felt so sad and guilty that my surprise gift had not quite turned out as planned and that it was my fault that my hubby was sick too. Worst gift ever! The only positive spin I can see out of this is that I am sure to be guaranteed to be taken out for Valentine’s Day dinner next year!